How It Works
Brooks Free Library invites local authors to donate one copy of their recently published work for inclusion in the Local Author Collection. The purpose of this collection is to support and promote local/self-published authors within our community. Local author’s works will be displayed at the library on their own shelf, and be made available for checkout by library users. Please review the following Guidelines prior to completing the submission form.
- Author must be a resident of Cape Cod
- All donated books must be in new or like new condition
- The Library will accept only one (1) copy of any title
- Author donations are limited to once per year
- Books must be for adult audiences. (Please contact Youth Services for all YA or Children’s books.)
- Submissions must be professionally printed and bound. Spiral bound items, pamphlets, textbooks, and workbooks will not be considered for the collection.
- Author represents and warrants full ownership and/or legal rights to publish all material in this book, including artwork.
All materials submitted for the Local Author Collection will be treated with the same selection guidelines used for our current print collections. Submission of the form does not guarantee selection. All books must be approved by the Library prior to being added to the Local Author Collection. Library staff will acknowledge receipt of your work within five (5) business days.
All unsolicited materials submitted without a form will be considered donations and be recycled, or given to the Friends of the Brooks Free Library for their book sale.
Materials selected for inclusion into the collection become property of the Brooks Free Library and are subject to the same standards and retention schedule as other library materials. The Brooks Free Library reserves the right to include or exclude any title from the collection for any reason. Materials donated to the library may be removed at any time. The library will give all removed books from the Local Author Collection to the Friends of the Brooks Free Library for their book sale, or recycle where appropriate.
Materials that are submitted but are not added to the collection will be returned to the author. Library staff will hold the work for thirty (30) days for you to pick-up. At the end of thirty (30) days, the item will be recycled or donated to the Friends of Brooks Free Library at the discretion of library staff.
The Local Author Collection will be located on an endcap in our Adult Fiction section. See library staff for questions regarding location.
Please understand that if your work is chosen for inclusion in the library’s collection, library staff are under no obligation to purchase additional copies for the collection. If the library chooses to buy additional copies, they may not be directly purchased from you but from an intermediary source.
How to Submit Your Work
- Review the Donation and Collection guidelines for the Local Author Collection.
- Fill out and submit the online Local Author Collection form (located below).
- Bring one (1) copy of your book to the Circulation desk during open business hours. Fill out and include the Local Author Donation Slip with your work. Library staff will provide you with this slip or you may print one to bring to the library with you, here. Note: Your completed online form must be submitted prior to bringing in your book, otherwise your book may be considered a donation and given to the Friends’ Bookstore.
A librarian will acknowledge receipt of your form and book within five (5) business days. After reviewing your form, a librarian will be in contact regarding the status of your submission within thirty (30) days. If your book is accepted, you may be asked to provide a graphic of the cover (.jpg, .png files only), and an author bio (one paragraph), to be shared on Brooks Free Library’s social media accounts.
All questions regarding the Local Author Collection can be directed to Acting Assistant Director Jennifer Pickett.